Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty frittata which can be served warm with crusty rolls and a salad or at room temperature at picnics,for take-to-work lunches or in school lunchboxes. Adapted from a recipe I found in the May 2006 issue of the Australian magazine 'super food ideas'.
- 2 cups dried macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onions (for Australians) or 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (for Americans)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 eggs
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following the packet directions, until tender; drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a medium heat; add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft; add the red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute; then transfer the contents of the pan to a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, thyme, parmesan, parsley and pasta to the onion mixture; whisk the eggs in a large jug and add them to the pasta mixture; stir until well-combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat and add the pasta mixture to the hot pan; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the contents of the pan for 8-10 minutes or until the frittata has set around the edges. The centre should still be slightly soft.
- Preheat a grill on a medium heat and place the pan under the grill; cook the frittata for 4-5 minutes or until it is golden and set.
- Cut into wedges and serve with crusty rolls and a salad.
WONDERFUL TASTING FRITTATA! I made this according to the recipe (Well, I did use lemon pepper instead of the S&P!) & then added one final thing ~ Served it with a bowl of mild chunky salsa & we each used as much as we wanted on top! Very, very nice, & the recipe's a real keeper! [tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders]
This was good but we felt it really needed something else to give it an added punch. Kids seemed to think more cheeses would help but they always say that. Like the macaroni and chicken combo but will have to work on what its missing. Thanks Mordreth.