1/2 Photos of Chicken and Ricotta Sausage Rolls
1 hr 5 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
I haven't made these yet but I was keen to post this recipe as soon as I spotted it in the current issue of the Australian magazine 'New Idea' because I love Fergusson Plarre's (naughty but delicious) spinach and ricotta rolls and this recipe could so very easily be adapted to include spinach by perhaps halving the chicken mince and adding some spinach in its place. Anyway, I'm looking forward to experimenting with the recipe and was keen to post it here where I can find it! The lemon mayonnaise also sounds very tasty! If you're not keen on citrus flavours, feel free to serve with your own choice of sauce or dip. These would, I think taste good with Tzatziki. This recipe featured as part of an easy-to-prepare Melbourne Cup lunch menu. To the best of my knowledge, Melbourne is the only city in the world to have a holiday for a horse race, the first Tuesday in November. And what better place than Zaar to test the truth or otherwise of that statement! And to answer --Nimz--'s query as to why these are called "sausage rolls", I'd say that the term "sausage roll" has become a generic term for anything resembling a sausage roll in appearance. I have two other sausage-less "sausage rolls" posted on Zaar: Huey's Lamb Sausage Rolls and Healthy Chicken and Vegetable Sausage Rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g ground chicken
- 200 g smooth ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon mccormick garlic season-all seasoning
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- salt, to taste (if not using the 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Season-All seasoning)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste (if not using the 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Season-All seasoning)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1Place chicken, ricotta, breadcrumbs, garlic, herbs and seasoning in a mixing bowl and use your hands to mix it until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- 2Divide the mixture into four portions.
- 3Cut the pastry sheets in half lengthways and place a quarter of the chicken mixture lengthways down each of the long sides of each of the pastry halves; roll up the pastry to enclose the filling and place the four pastry rolls, seam-side down, on a chopping board; brush the pastry with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 4Cut each pastry roll into six individual chicken and ricotta sausage rolls and arrange them on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- 5Cook the chicken and ricotta sausage rolls in a hot oven (200°C) for about 35 minutes, or until the pastry is lightly browned and crisp.
- 6To make the lemon mayonnaise, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 7Serve the chicken and ricotta sausage rolls warm or cold with the lemon mayonnaise.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Ricotta Sausage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.1
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 266.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: