Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this alternative to sausage rolls as I am not a big red meat eater. The kids will love them also. With regards to the ingredients, you can use cheddar cheese instead of feta as an alternative. If you didnt want to use chicken mince, you could even swap it for pork mince. The general recipe ingredients are spot on though for a tasty sausage roll.
- 500 g ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped garlic chives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped spring onions or 1⁄4 cup brown onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & pepper
- 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- milk, for glazing
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven 200 deg C or 180 deg C if fan forced.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the mince, carrot, chives, spring onions/brown onion, garlic powder, rice, fetta and egg and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and divide mixture into four.
- Lay one sheet of puff pastry onto a flat work surface and arrange chicken filling along one side of the pastry. Roll up to enclose chicken and cut into three portions. Place on baking tray and repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Score the top of each sausage roll lightly 4 or 5 times and brush with milk. Sprinkle over black sesame seeds and bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and chicken is cooked through.