A quick and easy schnitzel to make that's gluten-free. I use gluten-free rice crumbs (Orgran brand). Alternately you can make you own gluten-free crumbs by laying slices of GF bread on an oven tray and baking in a slow oven until golden. Then process to a fine crumb using a food processor or placing the bread in a large zip-lock bag and use your rolling-pin. You can omit the cheese if you cant have dairy or use egg replacers if you cant eat eggs. Add some extra pepper or spices of your choice if you like hot or spicey flavours. If leaving out the cheese- you might like to add salt, pepper and other seasonings of your choice- may taste a little bland otherwise
- 3 chicken breasts (can buy prepared flattened 'shnitzelled' chicken breast pieces if you choose)
- 1⁄2 cup fine rice flour or 1⁄2 cup other gluten-free flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (I use Orgran brand rice crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon smokey paprika or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- cooking oil, for pan frying
- Slice chicken breasts in halves, lengthways, to make 2 thin chicken breast pieces from each.
- Roll with a rolling pin or use a mallet to gentley flatten to quite thin chicken schnitzels.Cut schnitzels to desired size or strips, or leave large if desired.
- Coat chicken in rice flour or other gluten free flour and set aside.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk eggs or prepare egg replacers.
- In another bowl mix all remaining ingredients thoroughly.
- Dip chicken schnitzels into the egg. Coat thoroughly and allow any excess to drain. Next dip into crumb mix and set aside. I like to pat the crumbs on after coating. Continue until all chicken is coated in the crumb mixture.
- Heat some cooking oil in a pan and cook chicken approx 5 minutes each side. The chicken should be golden and cooked thru.
- Serve with your choices of sauce or lemon juice if desired.
I discovered this recipe on day one of the rest of my life (my gluten free life). Very good recipe, it was as tasty as any gluten ladened recipe I've tried previously. The rest of my gluten munching family did not notice anything amiss with this recipe. Highly recommended.
Easy and delicious! I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the gluten-free breadcrumbs, so I used panko in its place. My whole family really enjoyed this crispy and flavorful chicken. I loved that it was pretty darn healthy. The parmesan, paprika and parsley give nice flavoring, while keeping it simple. I'm keeping this in my file for those nights when I want a quick dinner that will satisfy everyone. Thank you! ~Made for Oct. Aussie/NZ Swap~
Thank you for an excellent recipe. These were so good we all had them!