Traditionally shepherd pie is made from lamb (hence shepherd) but since I don't eat red meat, I'm making it with chicken. You can use lamb if you wish. Vegetarian can replace the meat with variety of beans or TVP. You may use dried herbs if you don't have fresh herbs. Mushroom I used comes in a can and is sliced and pre-made in butter sauce
Bottom of the pan
- 200 g shortcrust pastry dough, frozen ready made (equals to 1 sheet, please defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 (260 g) can mushrooms, sliced in butter sauce
- 1⁄2 cup English pea, tiny variety if frozen defrosted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, crumbled leaf
- 1 dash marjoram
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt and pepper
Topping Mash potato
- 230 g potatoes (floury variety)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 20 g butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- To make mash potato: Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, add milk gradually, butter, season with pinch of nutmeg and mash (The mash needs to be lightened to prevent it from sinking into the meat) Set aside.
- To make the filling: In a large pan set over low heat, add oil and heat the oil until sizzling. Add the onions, carrots, celery, peas and garlic. Sauté until the onions are transparent and the carrots begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mushrooms in butter sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, shredded chicken and salt & pepper to taste. Allow to cool.
- Place the shortbread pastry into a pie tin. Don't cut the pastry yet, pour over cooled chicken filling, remove excess pastry by cutting the edge set aside.
- Spread your mash potato over chicken filling and scored with a fork or you can use an icing kit.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the topping is golden and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.