1/5 Photos of Chicken Skewers With Zathar (Thyme and Sesame Marinade)
Chef floWer's Note:
This recipe comes from ‘Barbecue, delicious recipes for outdoor cooking’ by Louise Pickford. I'm often want to use thyme as I adore the smell. I thought this amount of thyme will make the recipe pungent but it actually taste yummy marinated with the chicken then barbecued and the flavour is strong but not overpowering. Time does not include Marinating time Update: I have had a few questions regarding the thyme leaves: use the leaves only for measurements (don't include steams) measure the leaves after it has been removed from the steams.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 750 g chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite size pieces
- 8 wooden skewers
Zathar spice mix (use 3 tablespoons)
- 1Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- 2To make the zathar spice mix, put the sesame seeds into a dry frying pan and toast over medium heat until golden and aromatic. Remove, let cool then transfer to a spice grinder (or clean coffee grinder). Add the thyme and salt and then blend to a coarse powder. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle. You will need 3 tablespoons for this recipe (put the remainder into an airtight container and keep in a cool place for future use).
- 3Put the 3 tablespoons of zathar spice mix and olive oil into a shallow dish and mix well. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, add to the Zathar oil and toss well until coated. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 4Preheat the barbecue, then thread the chicken pieces onto the soaked wooden skewers and cook over hot coal for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, let rest briefly, sprinkle with chilli oil and lemon juice and serve hot with salad or pita bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Skewers With Zathar (Thyme and Sesame Marinade)
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.7 mg
- Sodium 413.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 44.3 g