Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For a feast the whole family will love, try this casserole. The cider and apples give a refreshing kick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken, size 16 cut into at least 8 pieces or 10 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200 g shallots or 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 -3 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 180°C Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken in batches. Transfer chicken pieces to a large casserole dish.
- Tip out any excess fat from the pan, add butter and quickly brown the shallots for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn down the heat, add celery and apple, and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and the apple cider.
- Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and add enough stock to come halfway up the chicken. Stir in the cornflour mixture, herbs and bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Allow the casserole to cool before freezing in a sealed plastic container. Prior to serving, thaw completely in the refrigerator, then heat until boiling.