This is a Bill Granger recipe from bill's food.
Make and share this Chickpea Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 green chilies, Seeded And Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 800 g canned chick-peas (Drained)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- Heat a large deep frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and salt.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the chickpeas, water, cumin, turmeric and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until the water evaporates.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes to soften.
- Remove from the heat, stir through lemon juice and taste for seasoning.
- Stir through spinach and set aside while spinach wilts slightly, then serve.
I was craving chick peas and brown rice last night. So I made this for my vegetarian daughter and I. It smelled wonderful cooking and was pretty to look at, we both loved it! I served it with brown and wild rice and it was amazing! My husband the meat eater likes it too!! thank you for posting this recipe I will make it again!!!
This was very hearty. I loved the combination of colors and flavors. I subbed a can of mild green chiles for the two fresh that were called for as well as mustard powder for the turmeric. I also halved the amount of cumin. I served it over brown rice to round out the meal. Next time I'll think I'll take Sarah_Jayne's advice and add a cup of chicken broth. Thank you for posting! Reviewed for ZWT4.
Fabulous stew and so colourful. A group of exchange students inhaled it. I didn't have enough chickpeas, so very successfully subbed half with cannellini beans. Thanks, Amanda, for yet another dish that speaks to my tastebuds. Yummo!