The nutty flavour and firm texture of chickpeas make them a fantastic alternative to meat in this delicious and satisfying dish. The aromatic, fresh tasting dill teams beautifully with the sour cream, and, to me, is an essential ingredient in this recipe. Thanks to my special friend Anna, for sharing it with me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika (sweet, rather than hot)
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4-1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly cracked peppercorn, to taste
- 10 ounces light sour cream
- 1Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Add sliced onion and garlic, and sauté until onion is golden brown and translucent.
- 3Stir in paprika powder and cook over gentle heat 2 minutes.
- 4Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, a couple of minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes, stir and cook a further minute.
- 6Stir in drained chickpeas, honey, tomato paste, mustard mixed with water and ¾ cup stock.
- 7Cover, and allow the mixture to simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent mixture from sticking. Add remaining ¼ cup of stock if necessary.
- 8Stir in the fresh herbs and half the sour cream, and re-heat gently.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve over hot, freshly cooked rice with a dollop of sour cream on each serving.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.3
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Sodium 684.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: