A favourite at our family BBQs. You can serve this jam on almost anything e.g.: with steak, chicken, fish, or on fresh bread sticks or flat breads.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook on a low slow heat until the onions are transparent.
- Note: do not brown the onions and garlic.
- Add chillies to the garlic and onion mixture and cook until the chillies are soft.
- Again being careful not to brown or burn the garlic, onion and chilli mixture.
- Next, to the mixture in the saucepan, add the tamarind paste, fish sauce and the sugar.
- Simmer for ten minutes then turn off heat.
- Cool for a few minutes and then pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is the consistency of jam.
- (Blend to a smoothiish texture) Pour into sterilised jam jar and store in fridge.
- The Chilli Jam will last for a couple of weeks in the fridge.