Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
This is so yummy - hot summer's day, sitting by the pool, cold glass of white wine, clear blue sky...bliss!
- 2 kg fresh mussels
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or water)
- fresh parsley
- 500 g ripe good-tasting tomatoes, skinned (Roma or Plum)
- 15 g butter or 15 g margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 chilies, chopped (or a good teaspoon of bottled chopped chilli)
- SAUCE: Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the butter/margarine and olive oil in a saucepan and fry the diced onions, chopped garlic and chillies until the onion is transparent, taking care not to let the garlic colour (it will taste bitter otherwise).
- Add the paprika, basil and tomato paste and stir.
- At this point, a little dry white wine (or water) may be added to loosen the sauce and then add the tomatoes, with a pinch of sugar.
- Simmer for 40 minutes and then season with salt and pepper.
- Clean the mussels and debeard (pull the hair away from the mussel).
- Place the mussels and dry white wine (or water) in a pot over a high heat.
- Cover with a firm lid to create steam from the liquid.
- Steam the mussels and once they are fully open, strain all the liquid from the pot.
- Discard any that haven't opened.
- Add the chilli tomato sauce to the mussels and stir gently to coat all the mussels with the sauce.
- Squeeze over half a lemon and garnish the dish with quartered lemons and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately, with lots of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
This is an absolutely delicious dish! Being a Freo gal myself now living overseas, I have always been looking out for the perfect chili mussel recipe. I need look no more! This recipe is authentic with the perfect amount of spice to tomato ratio. A suggestion - serve with lightly toasted baguette slices that have their sides rubbed with a garlic clove. Yummo!
I've been in Perth a couple of times and had chilli mussels in Freo. I really loved them and now I wanted to make them her in Holland as well. I searched the australian Google and foud this recipe. It was great! I really loved it! I am going to prepare it for my parents as well as they have lived in Perth and they miss the chilli mussels (among other things). And I gave the recipe to a collegue who is going to prepare it this weekend.
I cooked this recipe with my boyfriend for Valentines Day today, he loved it! The flavour was fantastic. We however didn't think it made enough sauce for 2kg of mussels may increase the amount next time. Also we added a few more large chopped chillies for extra hotness! YumYum.