Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We live in a caravan, on the road, permanently travelling around Australia. I’m always trying to develop tasty, simple dishes from what’s on hand. Russ really loved this one last night. Cooking in the bacon fat made them really tasty and is a lot healthier than some of the oils on the market (or so I have been told by others here).
- 2 slices bacon, rind and fat removed (reserve if you like)
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 1 red chile, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 2 . 5cm chunks
- salt and pepper (lots of pepper)
- 100 ml light sour cream (about 5 tablespoons)
- Dice the bacon.
- Cook bacon fat and rind until fat runs then remove and discard, or heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon, onion, chili and garlic gently for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Add the chili powder and cook a minute or so more.
- Add the potato pieces and stir gently.
- Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 45 minutes shaking the pan occasionally.
- When the potatoes are very tender, remove from the heat, season well and stir the sour cream through gently. Serve.