We live in a caravan, on the road, permanently travelling around Australia. I’m always trying to develop tasty, simple dishes from what’s on hand. Russ really loved this one last night. Cooking in the bacon fat made them really tasty and is a lot healthier than some of the oils on the market (or so I have been told by others here).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, rind and fat removed (reserve if you like)
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 1 red chile, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 2 . 5cm chunks
- salt and pepper (lots of pepper)
- 100 ml light sour cream (about 5 tablespoons)
- 1Dice the bacon.
- 2Cook bacon fat and rind until fat runs then remove and discard, or heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- 3Cook the bacon, onion, chili and garlic gently for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- 4Add the chili powder and cook a minute or so more.
- 5Add the potato pieces and stir gently.
- 6Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.
- 7Cook for about 45 minutes shaking the pan occasionally.
- 8When the potatoes are very tender, remove from the heat, season well and stir the sour cream through gently. Serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli / Chili Sour Cream Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.4
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 262.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 12.9 g