From an old Australian cookbook. An Australian cup is 250 ml. A tablespoon is 20 ml. Prep time doesn't include time to marinate.
- 750 g rump steak
- 2⁄3 cup plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh red chile, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, extra
- 125 ml water
- 1 small beef stock cube, crumbled
- Trim beef, slice thinly.
- Combine beef, sauces, garlic, ginger, chilli, sugar, sherry and cornflour in a large bowl. Cover, marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Drain beef and reserve marinade.
- Heat a little oil in a wok, add beef in batches, stir-fry until browned.
- Remove from wok as each batch is cooked. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Return beef to wok with reserved marinade, blended extra cornflour and water and the stock cube. Stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Serve with rice.