All the great flavour of the original, now packed with garden-fresh ingredients. To save time, you can use store-bought crispy wontons or chow mein noodles instead of frying your own. You can also substitute mandarin (fresh or canned) for the fresh orange slices. This should be made on the day of serving as it doesn't keep well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (approximately)
- 4 fresh wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 6 cups Chinese cabbage or 6 cups napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 4 green onions, sliced diagonally (including green tops)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1In a medium pan over high heat, bring about 1 litre water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, then plunge asparagus into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- 2Cut off and discard ends from oranges. Following the curve of the fruit, cut off peel and outer membrane. Slice oranges crosswise into 1/4inch thick rounds, then cut these rounds into quarters. Set aside.
- 3Pour the vegetable oil into a pan (the oil should be about 1/2 inch deep) and set over medium-high heat. When oil reaches 180C/350°F, add wonton strips and fry, stirring, until golden brown on both sides, about 30 seconds total. Lift out with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 4In a large serving bowl, toss the cabbage, chicken, and asparagus with the dressing. Top with avocado, orange slices, and wonton strips, then garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- 5For Spicy soy-ginger dressing:.
- 6In a medium bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, red chili sauce and grated fresh ginger.
- 7Slowly drizzle in vegetable oil or grapeseed oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Chicken Salad (Aussie Style)
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.3
- Calories from Fat 677
- Total Fat 75.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 35.4 mg
- Sodium 336.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
red chili sauce