Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rich and moist cupcakes, adapted from a Maggie Beer recipe. Maggie Beer is a well-known Australian chef and has written several books on food. For the best results, use top quality chocolate! Conversions you may need: 90g =30z; 60g = 2oz; 100g = 31/4oz; 14g = just under 1/2 oz. 15g = 1/2oz.
- 90 g unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream (low-fat is fine)
- 60 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup self raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa, unsweetened
- 100 g beetroots, grated and cooked
- 14 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 2⁄3 tablespoons hot water
- 8 hazelnuts (optional)
- Melt the chocolate over a bain marie or on the lowest setting of your microwave and allow it to cool but not to re-set.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer or by hand, until they are well-combined; add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg has been added; add the sour cream and cooled melted chocolate and mix to ensure that all the ingredients have been well-combined.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa and then add the grated beetroot and mix all the ingredients so that they are well-combined.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into muffin tin sized patty pans (placed in a muffin tin) and bake at 180°C/350°-375°F/4-5 gas mark for 15 minutes.
- Icing: Mix the butter and cocoa together, add the icing sugar and water to combine and mix until the mixture has thickened.
- Once the Chocolate and Beetroot Cupcakes have cooled, spread on the icing and place a hazelnut (if using) on top of the icing on each cupcake.