1/1 Photo of Chocolate Caramel Slice
According to my friend, Claire, this is a favourite sweet in Australia. A slice is what we'd call a bar cookie. Sounds delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 3 ounces butter, melted (85 gr)
- 1 ounce butter (30 gr)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (395 gr)
- 6 ounces milk chocolate (150 gr) or 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (150 gr)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Preheat oven to 375F (180C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan and line bottom and sides with wax paper.
- 2Stir brown sugar, coconut and flour together. Add butter and mix until well--combined. Firmly press mixture into prepared pan using the back of a tablespoon.
- 3Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly-brown and slightly-risen. Make caramel during this time.
- 4Place butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 9-12 minutes, or until caramel thickens,
- 5Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes (a border of lightly-browned caramel will form around the edges of the slice). Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
- 6For the chocolate topping: Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over VERY low heat. Whisk well to incorporate butter into chocolate and spread evenly over caramel slice. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Holding onto wax paper, remove slice from baking pan. Cut into 12 squares, using a hot, dry knife. You may have to dip your knife into very hot water (and dry) before making subsequent cuts, to keep the cuts neat.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Caramel Slice
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.2
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 219.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 36.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g