Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
According to my friend, Claire, this is a favourite sweet in Australia. A slice is what we'd call a bar cookie. Sounds delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2⁄3 cup self-raising flour
- 3 ounces butter, melted (85 gr)
- 1 ounce butter (30 gr)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (395 gr)
- 6 ounces milk chocolate (150 gr) or 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (150 gr)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375F (180C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan and line bottom and sides with wax paper.
- Stir brown sugar, coconut and flour together. Add butter and mix until well--combined. Firmly press mixture into prepared pan using the back of a tablespoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly-brown and slightly-risen. Make caramel during this time.
- Place butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 9-12 minutes, or until caramel thickens,
- Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes (a border of lightly-browned caramel will form around the edges of the slice). Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
- For the chocolate topping: Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over VERY low heat. Whisk well to incorporate butter into chocolate and spread evenly over caramel slice. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Holding onto wax paper, remove slice from baking pan. Cut into 12 squares, using a hot, dry knife. You may have to dip your knife into very hot water (and dry) before making subsequent cuts, to keep the cuts neat.
Real sweet and chocolatety and such a delightful dessert!
Oh my goodness what a luscious sweet snack!! At 10:00 PM I started to make these little nuggets then in the middle of the process, I discovered that I ran out of coconut. I substituted with ground pecans. I also did not have golden syrup, so I subed with karo syrup. So far I had to give the recipe to 4 people who said they melted in their mouth. I also found that when baked with the caramel it took only 7 minutes. This could be due to the fact that while making the caramel I cooked it longer. One very important fact is that one should stir the carmel constantly. End result is DELICIOUS & AWESOME Pat Merwin
*Reviewed during ZWT5 AUstralia* Great slice. Nice crunchy base with caramel and choc topping. I ,ade this recipe to take to my mother's birthday get together. Everyone enjoyed it. A little different to the caramel slice I have made before. I used gluten-free flour in the base to make this a gluten-free slice. I also used a little more chocolate for the topping....though my tin size may have been slightly larger. I used the standard Aussie "slice tine" to make this recipe. I dont think that there would be many a cake shop in Australia without some version of the caramel slice available. Photo also being posted Editted to add...Made me around 20 squares /servings