Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
I'm not really a big tea fan but I saw this recipe & just had to try it. I love the blend of spices with the cocoa, it's really great. I used vanilla tea with mine so mine was more like a chocolate vanilla chai, I suppose you could experiment with things like caramel or even toffee tea too. Recipe is from SFI.
- 3 teaspoons loose-leaf black tea
- 8 cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Combine tea, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, allspice, cocoa powder, sugar and 1 1/2 cups of cold water in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until hot. Strain into 2 heatproof glasses or cups. Serve.
Very rich tasting, and the cocoa was a nice addition. It helps to crack the cardamom pods a bit before using, to get more flavor from the seeds. Personally, I really like cardamom, so may use ground next time for more flavor. A nice comforting cuppa on a cold, dreary afternoon. Made for Winter 2010 Comfort Cafe game.
Mmmmm this was interesting and different but not quite my cup of tea so to speak. I think the cocoa destracted me from the flavors of the chai I was hoping for. Always good to try good things though. Thanks for a new experience Mandy!
I love chai and this beverage is no exception. I also used vanilla tea and loved the way it flavored this drink. I have never used demerara sugar before, and enjoyed my first experience. Thanks for another great recipe, Mandy. Made for September, 2008 Bevy Tag.