TO DIE FOR!! Nice and quick for that morning tea with the girls!! * Hint: Use wet fingertips when pressing coconut mixture into patty pan. * Shortcut: To make chocolate filling, place cream and chocolate into a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Heat, uncovered, for 1 to 11/2 minutes on HIGH (100%) power, stirring every 30 seconds, or until melted and smooth. Time does not include cooling time in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180°C Lightly grease an 18 x 2-tablespoon (40ml) capacity patty pan.
- Make base:.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl. Mix until well combined. Press a tablespoonful of mixture into base and sides of each patty hole to form small cases (see hint). Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light golden. Loosen tarts while hot. Set aside to cool in pan.
- Make filling:
- Place cream and chocolate into a small saucepan over low heat (see shortcut). Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes, or until melted and smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir egg yolks into chocolate mixture. Spoon mixture into coconut cases so each is three-quarters full. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 220°C Beat eggwhites to soft peaks. Add sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time, beating until thick and glossy. Top each pie with meringue. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Set aside to cool before serving.
Love them, thanks!!
I only had two normal size muffin tins so made 12 fairly large tarts but think the 18 suggested would have been better. The base recipe is great - I made mine a bit thick not being sure it would hold together but will flatten right down next time and cook for a bit longer to get it a bit crisper. I'll probably make a different filling next time though - this was delicious, but a bit expensive with all that chocolate and I don't normally have that around (for long). Inspired me to make something different (usually go for savoury recipes)so thank you. Your shortcut and hint were very useful.
To die for is right! I enjoyed these when they were warm. I loved the meringue with the chocolate and the whipped cream- cream textures and flavors. I think the humidity caused a little problem with my meringue, but that was no fault of the recipe. I used mini muffin pans and ended up having some extra chocolate left over. I think I will use it to make more tomorrow! My tastebuds thank you for this one darang- I think my co-workers will be thanking you to once they take their first bite if there are any left ;) EDIT: Everyone raved about these. People where almost fighting over them and kept asking if there were any more left. Thank you for making me look good!