Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
On a leaflet from Haigh's Chocolate Shop. This is a hot baked pudding. If you can't find dark orange chocolate add 1 tsp of orange oil or 2 tsp orange zest and use plain dark chocolate for the sauce.
- 150 g chocolate, dark 70%
- 250 g dates
- 250 g figs, dried & chopped
- 900 ml water
- 10 g bicarbonate of soda
- 120 g butter
- 500 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 15 ml vanilla bean paste
- 500 g self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 450 g chocolate, orange flavoured
- 250 ml milk
- 60 g brown sugar
- 35 g butter, unsalted
- Bring the water to the boil, then add the figs and dates.
- Add in the bicarb and stir well to combine. Remove from heat and cool at least 2 hours to reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Sift the flour, salt and cocoa and set aside.
- Cream the butter, then add the sugar, vanilla and egss and beat until light and fluffy.
- Line a 33cm x 23cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Add half the fig and date mixtrue to the butter mix and mix on a low speed until combined.
- Melt the chocolate by finely chopping and setting over a pan of barely simmering water. Add the melted chocolate to the pudding mixture along with the flour/cocoa and mix to well combined.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour. Test with skewer for doness.
- Serve warm with sauce.
- Boil the milk and cream together.
- Take off heat and add the chopped chocolate, sugar and butter.
- Stir until smooth.