8 hrs 30 mins
Chocolate freckles are a very popular candy of small chocolate discs covered in hundreds and thousands (round sprinkles). This cake looks like a giant freckle, with layers of chocolate ice cream, sponge finger biscuits and vanilla ice cream in the middle. Would make a great kid's birthday cake, and you can make it up to 4 weeks ahead of needing it. Cooking time is freezing time, prep time is approx. From Super Food Ideas Dec 2005. NB 1 cup = 250ml
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 liters vanilla ice cream (Streets Blue Ribbon re-freezes well)
- 200 g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 400 g dark chocolate, chopped (make sure it's good quality)
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 250 g ladyfingers (sponge finger biscuits, Zaar defaults to ladyfinger)
- 2 (175 g) packets hundreds and thousands
- 1Remove ice cream from freezer and stand for 10-15 minutes. Ice cream should be just softened but not melted.
- 2Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mixture may curdle but that's ok :-).
- 3Combine chocolate and cream in a bowl and microwave, stirring every minute, until melted and smooth. Add to butter mixture and beat until smooth.
- 4Sprinkle 1 packet of hundreds and thousands over base of a line springform cake pan (7.5 x 25cm base). Carefully spoon over half the chocolate mixture so as not to disturb the sprinkles.
- 5Cut biscuits in half lengthways to make 2 thin, flat fingers. Arrange in a single layer to cover chocolate mixture, trimming if necessary. The easiest way to do this is to lay them pointing from the edge towards the centre, and then fill the centre with smaller bits (great if some of them broke while being halved).
- 6Spoon vanilla ice cream over biscuits. Press another layer of biscuits into surface of ice cream and pour over remaining chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with remaining hundreds and thousands.
- 7Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and freeze overnight or up to 4 weeks. Remove from pan and serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Freckle Ice-Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 706.6
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.3 g
- Cholesterol 239.7 mg
- Sodium 242.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 41.7 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hundreds and thousands