1/4 Photos of Chocolate Pavlova With Raspberries
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Though the origins of the Pavlova are sometimes disputed, Australia or New Zealand, there is no doubt that this dessert from down under is a treat. This particular variation comes from Canadian Living on yields a delectable crisp shell and a soft gooey center. Worried about the calories? My friends on the Aussie/NZ inform me its best to use less whipped cream than to use lower calorie substitute. Guessing you could make some elegant individual pavlovas but would need to adjust baking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar or 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 275 degrees, placing rack at the center of your oven.
- 2Place an 8 or 9 inch cake pan on a sheet of parchment paper and trace around the rim using a pen. Place the parcment on a cookie sheet penciled side down - facing the baking sheet.
- 3If you are using regular sugar, place it into the bowl of a food processor and blend for 30 seconds to get a finer granule. Remeasure out 1 1/4 cups and discard any excess.
- 4Using a mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat on medium-high speed until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until the meringue holds stiff peaks. Gently fold in the vinegar and vanilla extract. Sift the cocoa powder and cornstarch over the top of the meringue and, using a large spatula, fold together. Lastly, fold in the chopped chocolate.
- 5Gently spread the meringue inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper, smoothing the edges. While spreading create a SMALL indentation in the center so that there will be a natural hollow for the raspberries and whipped cream.
- 6Bake for about 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours or until the outside is dry. There will be small cracks on the surface but the center will still be soft and gooey.) Shut the oven off, leave the door slightly open, and allow the meringue cool completely in the oven.
- 7Just before serving gently place the meringue on a serving plate. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Sweeten with the sugar and then mound the softly whipped cream into the center of the meringue. Arrange the raspberries on top of the cream.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pavlova With Raspberries
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.4
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 53.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 34.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g