Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of four Chocoholic Heaven recipes I found in a recent issue of the Australian 'Women's Day'. Delightfully decadent, totally yummy cakes with a chocolate-liqueur sauce. If you are serving them to guests, these can be made totally ahead of time, or if you want to serve them with the chocolate-liqueur sauce warm, the ingredients can be ready in a small saucepan and warmed just before serving.
- 160 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 150 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup pecan meal (see Notes)
- 2⁄3 cup pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dark chocolate, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pecan nuts, toasted, coarsely chopped, to serve
- 150 g dark chocolate, eating, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream (see Notes)
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C, and grease 10 recesses in 2 6-hole muffin pans (2/3 cup), and line the bases and sides of the 10 holes withbaking paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter over a low heat, transfer to a large bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beatthe sugar and egg yolks together until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Fold the egg mixture, pecan meal, pecans and grated chocolate into the chocolate mixture, until it is just combined.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, fold the egg whites lightly into the chocolate mixture, then spoon into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer, and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- CHOC-LIQUEUR SAUCE: Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan, stir over a low heat until smooth.
- TO SERVE: Serve the cakes drizzled with the choc-liqueur sauce and sprinkled with nuts.
- NOTES: If you cannot find pecan meal, make your own by processing 1 cup pecans until they are very finely chopped. The liqueur used in this recipe is Baileys Irish Cream liqueur, which Zaar seems reluctant - or unable - to list in quite that form!
These were very good. The 4 star rating is due to the the fact that they were a little too rich for me. The combo of dark chocolate, and pecan nuts was good. I also had to process the 1 cup pecans. No big deal though. A good recipe, that was made for New Zaar tag~~