1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From “Super Food Ideas”, September 2008 (#1 Australian food magazine). Leftover cake and sauce can be saved for up to 3 days: store cake in airtight container at room temperature. Refrigerate sauce in an airtight container. Whiskey is an optional ingredient. I have tried to give U.S. equivalents of measurements. Double cream is the name in Britain for a very rich cream — containing 48% butterfat. Whipping cream in this country, by contrast, contains between 30% and 40% butterfat. Single cream in Britain is comparable to American half and half (and may also be called pouring cream), with between 10% and 12% fat. I am guessing that spreadable mascarpone will yield a similar rich creamy taste to finish off this dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g pitted dried dates (8.8 oz.)
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda or 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 125 g butter, chopped (4.4 oz.)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (or 1 cup and 2 Tbsp. flour and 2 tsp. baking powder and 3/4 tsp. salt)
- 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped (3.5 oz.)
- double cream, to serve (whipping cream, whipped, or beaten mascarpone to form a thick sauce)
- 1PREPARE PUDDING:.
- 2Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius for convection oven; converts to 350 degrees F/320 F). Grease a 20 cm round cake pan (8-inch cake pan). Line base and side with baking paper (parchment paper).
- 3Combine dates and 1 1/4 cups cold water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- 4Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Stand for 15 minutes.
- 5Process date mixture until almost smooth.
- 6Place butter and sugar in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- 7Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 8Stir in flour, chocolate, and date mixture.
- 9Spread mixture into a prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 10PREPARE SAUCE:.
- 11Combine sugar, cream and butter in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved.
- 12Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil.
- 13Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 14Stir in whisky (if using).
- 15Serve cake with sauce and cream.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Sticky Date Pudding With Whiskey Butterscotch Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.6
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 101.6 mg
- Sodium 439.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 44.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g