TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Please be aware of the walnut ingredient; anyone with nut-allergies should eliminate this ingredient from the recipe. Lamb is one of my favourite meats to prepare. More lamb recipes are forthcoming. A good friend from Calgary emailed this recipe to me in 1999. (Source: Cold Weather Cooking, Sara Leah Chase) It is a keeper. Serve with Mint Salsa Verde - recipe also included in this post (Source: Nantucket Open House Cookbook, Sara Leah Chase)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 racks of lamb (at least 8 ribs each)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves (or fresh coriander)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Mint Salsa Verde
- 1Preheat Oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Place the garlic, walnuts and cilantro in food processor and process to a coarse paste.
- 3Add lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan.
- 4Process until smooth.
- 5Season with cayenne salt and ground pepper.
- 6Coat the lamb racks generously on both sides with the cilantro pesto (if there is extra pesto, save it to serve with the cooked lamb).
- 7Place the lamb racks meat side down, in a shallow roasting pan.
- 8Roast 15-20 minutes, uncovered, for medium-rare meat.
- 9Let the lamb rest for5-10 minutes before carving.
- 10Using a sharp carving knife, cut the racks between the bones, into chops.
- 11Serve 3-4 chops per person.
- 12SALSA VERDE.
- 13Place parsley, scallions and mint in food processor fitted with the steel blade Process to make a smooth green paste.
- 14Add the anchovies, garlic and lemon juice and process again until smooth.
- 15With the machine running, pour the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube.
- 16This makes a glistening green sauce.
- 17Transfer the sauce to a bowl and stir in the eggs and capers.
- 18Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 19Store in refrigerator, but let warm to room temperature before serving.
- 20Recipe is sufficient for 10-20 guests (at a barbeque for instance), but you can halve it easily for smaller dinner party.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cilantro Crusted Rack of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.5
- Calories from Fat 758
- Total Fat 84.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 120.4 mg
- Sodium 534.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
racks of lamb