4 hrs 45 mins
From Bon Appetit magazine, the October 2002 issue. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces,room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 2/3 c dbl check gf)
- 3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 bananas, cut into 1/4 inch-thick rounds
- 1FOR MERINGUE: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- 2Spread 1 1/2 cups coconut on large baking sheet.
- 3Toast until golden, stirring twice, about 15 minutes.
- 5Maintain oven temperature.
- 6Line another large baking sheet with foil.
- 7Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and next 4 ingredients in large bowl until foamy.
- 8Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 9Beat in 1/4 cup boiling water, 1 T at a time, beating until whites are stiff and glossy.
- 10Fold in 1 cup toasted coconut.
- 11Spoon meringue onto center of prepared baking sheet and spread to 9-inch-diameter circle with slightly raised edges.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup untoasted coconut.
- 13Bake meringue for 10 minutes.
- 14Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and bake until dry and crisp outside and just cooked through inside, about 1 hour.
- 15Turn off oven.
- 16Let meringue stand in oven 1 hour.
- 17Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 18FOR MOUSSE: Whisk egg yolks, 2 T sugar, butter, 2 T water, and rum in medium metal bowl to blend.
- 19Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water).
- 20Whisk until thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160F, about 6 minutes.
- 21Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- 22Turn off heat; leave bowl over water.
- 23Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- 24Gradually add 2 T sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 25Fold 1/3 of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten.
- 26Fold in remaining whites.
- 27Remove from over water and let mousse cool 20 minutes.
- 28Beat whipping cream in large bowl until peaks form.
- 29Place meringue on platter.
- 30Spread mousse over center of meringue; top with sliced bananas.
- 31Spread whipped cream over bananas and chill at least 20 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- 32Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut.
- 33Cut into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Pavlova with Chocolate Mousse and Bananas
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.2
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 205.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 57.7 g
- Protein 7.5 g