Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Bon Appetit magazine, the October 2002 issue. :)
Make and share this Coconut Pavlova with Chocolate Mousse and Bananas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces,room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 2/3 c dbl check gf)
- 3⁄4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 bananas, cut into 1/4 inch-thick rounds
- FOR MERINGUE: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups coconut on large baking sheet.
- Toast until golden, stirring twice, about 15 minutes.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Line another large baking sheet with foil.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and next 4 ingredients in large bowl until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in 1/4 cup boiling water, 1 T at a time, beating until whites are stiff and glossy.
- Fold in 1 cup toasted coconut.
- Spoon meringue onto center of prepared baking sheet and spread to 9-inch-diameter circle with slightly raised edges.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup untoasted coconut.
- Bake meringue for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F and bake until dry and crisp outside and just cooked through inside, about 1 hour.
- Turn off oven.
- Let meringue stand in oven 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- FOR MOUSSE: Whisk egg yolks, 2 T sugar, butter, 2 T water, and rum in medium metal bowl to blend.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water).
- Whisk until thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160F, about 6 minutes.
- Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Turn off heat; leave bowl over water.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 2 T sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten.
- Fold in remaining whites.
- Remove from over water and let mousse cool 20 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream in large bowl until peaks form.
- Place meringue on platter.
- Spread mousse over center of meringue; top with sliced bananas.
- Spread whipped cream over bananas and chill at least 20 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut.
- Cut into wedges and serve.