Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From Australian House and Garden. A wine suggestion: a white wine with tropical fruit flavours eg a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon. I've also posted the dipping sauces.Prep and cooking times are guestimates only and probably on the longer side as I am really slow at deveining prawns!
- Devein prawns and rinse quickly under cold running water, then flatten very slightly with the heel of your hand.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Sift flour, salt and cornflour into a bowl.
- Add vinegar and water and mix to a smooth batter.
- Spread coconut on a flat plate.
- Dust prawns lightly with extra flour, then dip into the batter.
- Allow the excess to run off then coat with coconut.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep frying pan and test for the correct temperature with one prawn (oil should not be too hot or the coconut will burn before the prawn cooks).
- Cook prawns in batches and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, accompanied with lime wedges and dipping sauces such as Yoghurt and Mint Sauce or Chilli Plum Sauce.
These were great! Really easy to put together and the sweetness of the coconut works really well with something a little spicy. I served with chili jam.
I like king prawns very much so,, 5 stars