From Australian House and Garden. A wine suggestion: a white wine with tropical fruit flavours eg a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon. I've also posted the dipping sauces.Prep and cooking times are guestimates only and probably on the longer side as I am really slow at deveining prawns!
- Devein prawns and rinse quickly under cold running water, then flatten very slightly with the heel of your hand.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Sift flour, salt and cornflour into a bowl.
- Add vinegar and water and mix to a smooth batter.
- Spread coconut on a flat plate.
- Dust prawns lightly with extra flour, then dip into the batter.
- Allow the excess to run off then coat with coconut.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep frying pan and test for the correct temperature with one prawn (oil should not be too hot or the coconut will burn before the prawn cooks).
- Cook prawns in batches and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, accompanied with lime wedges and dipping sauces such as Yoghurt and Mint Sauce or Chilli Plum Sauce.