2 hrs 30 mins
It's winter here, so my thoughts are turning to comfort food. This is a warming, filling stew from Family Circle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg chuck steak, cut into 3 cm cubes (1 1/4 inch)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup plum jam
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/350°F).
- 2Toss the meat in the flour.
- 3heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy based pan and brown the meat in batches over a medium high heat.
- 4Drain and remove to a large bowl.
- 5Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the onion and garlic, stirring for 3 minutes or until soft.
- 6Combine onion and meat in bowl.
- 7Add the remaining casserole ingredients and stir well.
- 8Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- 9Cover and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- 10Uncover the dish, turn the oven up to hot (240°C/475°F).
- 11Place the herb scones on top of meat and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
- 12Herb Scones: Sift the flour into a bowl, rub in the butter, then stir in the herbs.
- 13Add the milk and stir until just combined.
- 14Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth.
- 15Press dough out to a 4cm (1 1/2 inch) thick round.
- 16Using a pastry cutter, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) rounds.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Beef Stew With Herb Scones (Biscuits)
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1201.3
- Calories from Fat 610
- Total Fat 67.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 194.7 mg
- Sodium 440.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 56.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce