Granny Smith apples are combined with pistachios and spices to make a delicious filling for crêpes. You can use the crêpe recipe below or use the apple pistachio filling in your own favourite crêpe recipe. Adapted from a recipe in the June 2001 issue of 'Australian Table'. The 20 minutes preparation time does not include the additional 1 hour standing time. To reduce the fat content, use low-fat milk.
- 250 g plain flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 large eggs, preferably free range
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 4.92 ml butter, additional, melted, for pan frying
- 473.18 ml milk
- icing sugar, to serve
- cream (optional) or ice cream, to serve (optional)
- 500 g granny smith apples
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 59.16 ml caster sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 44.37 ml pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- To make the crêpes: Combine the flour, salt, eggs, butter and milk in a processor and blend until smooth. Stand for 1 hour. Brush a crêpe pan with a little of the extra melted butter and heat over a moderate heat. Add about 1/4 cup of the batter, rotate the pan to distribute evenly and cook for about 30-40 seconds, or until the bottom is set and golden. Flip the crêpe over to cook on the other side for about 20 seconds. Slide onto a heatproof plate and plate and keep warm in a low oven until all the crêpes have been cooked.
- To make the apple filling: Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Melt the butter in a (preferably non-stick) pan, add the apple, sugar and spices and cook over a moderate heat, stirring frequently until the apple is soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the pistachios and set aside.
- To cook: Preheat the oven to 200°C Place a crêpe on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto a quarter of the crêpe. Fold in half and then into quarters. Repeat with the remaining crêpes. Arrange in a lightly buttered ovenproof dish, slightly overlapping. Bake until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
- To serve: Lightly dust the crêpes with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream.
This was great, I like the tart and sweet from the apple and the spices go together well. I served with ice cream. Very easy to make. We will be making this again. Thanks