Something fairly original I came up with that I thought tasted great and was rich and filling without being too over the top. Note that I pinched Bechamel Sauce from evelyn/athens as part of the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup white crab meat
- 1⁄2 cup chard leaves, finely chopped (silver beet, green part only)
- 1⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 12 cannelloni tubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (pasta sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Start preparing the bechamel sauce by melting butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and bring to boil, stirring.
- Add salt and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the same consistency as thickened cream.
- Refrigerate the sauce for 30 minutes or more.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well with 1/2 cup of the bechamel sauce.
- Fill cannelloni tubes with the mixture.
- Spread pasta (tomato) sauce evenly over the bottom of a small baking dish.
- Place the cannelloni tubes over the top in the dish.
- Pour the remaining bechamel sauce over the top and sprinkle lightly with dried parsley.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C / 360°F.