Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Nice and hearty-a good way to use more of the crabs we are catching
Make and share this Crab Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced about 1/2 inch
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 celery ribs, sliced finely
- 1 (440 g) can creamed corn
- 1 (310 g) can corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup crab
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat; add the onion, garlic, bacon, potatoes, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Add the cans of corn, the stock powder, sauces, lemon juice, water and pepper. Stir well then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until the potato is cooked. Add more water if the soup is looking too thick.
- Add the crab meat and cook for a couple of minutes to warm through.
- Stir through the cream and parsley warm a minute more then serve.
i used artificial crab meat and it was very good
Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #15. This chowder was absolutely awesome. I don't often make recipes that use crab because it is so expensive to buy if you don't live near one of the coastlines where crabbing is prevelant. My local grocery store happened to have crab on sale so I bought some not even knowing what I would use it for. Imagine my surprise when I found this recipe. My whole family loved this crab chowder. This recipe makes a lot. We actually got 6 servings out of this recipe. Thanks JustJanS for a wonderful chowder recipe! Next time crab is on sale again, I'll get some 'cause the whole family said we should have this again. :-)