This recipe was originally from a magazine- a few years ago now. This biscuit has a beautiful texture and topped with jam and slivered almonds. Everybody who has tried these tell me they are wonderful....as for me-I'm gluten free so unable to have these biscuits. These biscuits look divine!
- Preheat oven to 180°C Line two flat baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add sugar and the vanilla. Beat until the sugar has dissolved. Add egg -beat until well combined.
- Using a metal spoon, fold flour into butter mixture.
- Using your hands, press the dough together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out until 0.5cm thick.
- Using a 6cm round biscuit cutter, cut rounds from dough.
- Place rounds on prepared trays. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jam into the centre of each biscuit. Sprinkle tops with almonds.Do not be tempted to add too much jam as it will melt off the biscuit.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light golden.
- Allow biscuits to cool on trays. Dust with icing sugar mixture.
This biscuit is quite a bit different to what I expected- they are not very sweet, and the dough really quite thick, texture is not as crumbly as a shortbread. I added a bit more sugar. I rolled them out quite thinly, then made the biscuits into a sandwich with a little jam in between before baking. Not too much! The jam did make them sweeter. Thanks for a different style biscuit.
these were good. i didnt put the jam on them before baking (i have some jam haters) so i put it out for them to put on if they wanted. i thought they would be more of a biscuit but they are more like a shortbread cookie.. my 5 y.o. neice couldnt stop eating them and insisted on taking 'those circle things' home with her. probably would be a 5 star if made with jam and almonds cooked on.. easy to make too! thanks