This is worth making your own fish stock for. Any white fish fillets can be used.
Make and share this Cream of Fish Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the stock and stir away from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the crushed garlic, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reserve a few prawns for garnish, then pound the rest in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the fish and pounded prawns to the sauce and simmer covered for a further 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, food processor or use a stick blender.
- Return the soup to the saucepan checking the seasonings, add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the cream to the soup and reheat gently.
- Serve garnished with the reserved prawns.
Really great soup! Great balance of flavours and the high proportion of seafood to liquid results in a very creamy and satifying soup. I didn't have fish stock or fish pieces suitable to make it so instead used vegetable stock with around a tablespoon of Asian fish sauce which worked well. Also to add a bit to the fish base I pan-fried the fish and prawns in the butter and reserved the butter for the white sauce.