Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
ZWT7, Italy. A sweet finish. From http://www.macnuts.com.au
Make and share this Creamed Rice & Honey Macadamia Pears recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup arborio rice (risotto)
- 750 ml water
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large beurre bosc pears, pealed and cut into thick lengthwise slices
- 4 tablespoons macadamia nuts, roasted and chopped
- Put the rice, 750ml water, milk and sugar in a pot.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean and add the bean itself. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the rice is tender.
- Blend the custard powder with 2 tablespoons water and stir through the rice mixture.
- Continue stirring until the mixture boils, then simmer for 2 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat, cover the surface of the rice mixture with plastic wrap and allow to stand while preparing the pears.
- Gently heat the honey and cinnamon in a shallow fry pan, add the pear slices in batches and cook over a medium heat until they brown and soften slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the vallina bean and spoon the creamed rice into bowls. Stand pear slies upright at the edge of each bowl.
- Sprinkle with chopped macadamias.
Lovely dessert risotto - not too sweet. I had to use apricots as my pears were sadly not ripe enough but it is a very versatile recipe and I think a variety of different fruits would work. Made way more than 2 serves so I think that might be a typo. Made and enjoyed for ZWT 5 .