Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great salad made by our d-in-law Wendy, from Australian Woman's Weekly BBQ Cookbook.
Make and share this Creamy Apple Pecan Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 golden delicious apples, red
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, roasted & halved
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Core and quarter apples, slice thinly, dip in lemon juice; combine with celery in bowl.
- Add pecans to salad, toss lightly, serve topped with dressing.
- Dressing; Combine all ingredients.
I think this would have been great without the sour cream or just reduced. I added craisins and I used this recipe Candied Pecans for the pecans. I also drained off a bunch of the dressing as I thought there was too much or maybe my apples just weren't big enough. I also added a bit more honey and a little bit of apple pie spice to try and fix the overwhelming sour cream flavor. I think if you added chicken to this it would be great too. Update: Better the next day and with 1-2 chicken breasts shredded up to soak up some of the dressing.
*Made for Photo Forum- April 2010- Soups, Salads and Sandwiches event * Great salad. Crunch from the apples and nicely balanced with the taste and texture of the toasted pecans. A lovely sweet and creamy dressing to go with it. Something a little different to your regular garden salads or coleslaw. WIll definitely make this one again :) Photo to be posted also