This is based on an Australian Weight Watchers recipe. It's very healthy and low fat but tastes like it isn't! I often double the sauce and use it to cook up a 500g bag of defrosted frozen prawn meat. I also change up the veggies ... use whatever you have on hand. I like to throw in a handful of baby spinach right at the end. I have often thought it might be nice with a small tin of pineapple and a tsp of coconut extract ... let me know if you try this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or 300 g prawns, peeled and tails removed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder (such as Keen's, see note below)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped (AKA red bell pepper)
- 150 ml evaporated low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (AKA cornstarch)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Cook chicken in a hot pan coated with cooking spray till brown and tender. (If using prawns, you can stirfry them at this point till they turn pink, or you can wait till the end and just cook them in the sauce for a few minutes.) Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- 2Saute the garlic, curry powder, carrots, onion and capsicum for 4 - 5 minutes.
- 3Combine cornflour and water in a small bowl.
- 4Turn the heat way down low and stir in the milk, stock and cornflour/water mixture. Stir until sauce thickens. Return chicken to the pan and coat with the curry sauce.
- 5Serve over rice.
- 6NOTE: After a review stating this was "bland" I realised that Keen's Curry Powder (available in Australia) may be quite different from brands available overseas. Keen's brand curry powder has a fairly high salt content. You may need to add salt to this recipe if your curry powder is low in salt.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken (Or Prawn) Curry
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.8
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.0 mg
- Sodium 245.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated low-fat milk