A local pizza joint makes a creamy chicken pizza which is one of my favourites so I thought I'd try to recreate it. They use mushrooms whereas I've used pineapple because I always like the extra sweetness and moisture that pineapple gives to a pizza. I've assumed you are already armed with a pizza base and know how to use it, personally I used Pizza Dough (For Bread Machine) and cooked on an outdoor grill but then browned a little under a grill. For a fresh dough it's best to pre-cook a little because otherwise the liquid will seep in and make it soggy. I used the quantities listed to top to a 35cm / 14" pizza, it tends to spread out a bit while cooking so make sure you cook in a well sized tray.
- 250 g chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (reserve juice if using tin)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, coarsely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 150 g tomato paste
- Cook chicken breast in oven for 30 minutes at 180°C / 350°F or grill until cooked through. You can of course use leftover chicken.
- Melt butter over gentle heat in a small saucepan and stir in flour until mixed well.
- Stir in milk gradually and continue to stir until it has reduced just a little, not much just a minute or two.
- Reduce temperature to low and stir through cheese until it has just melted and remove from the heat.
- Stir through the pineapple juice and stir rapidly to get it back to a thinner consistency.
- Coarsely cut the chicken into cubes roughly 1cm (little under 1/2") across and add to the cheese sauce and mix through.
- Stir through pineapple, onion, garlic, parsley, chives and sage. Place in the refrigerator 30 minutes while you prepare the oven/grill or alternatively it can be done in advance.
- Spread the base with the tomato paste or your favourite pizza sauce and then evenly spread the chicken mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the top and cook as per your preferences until the cheese is melted through etc.