Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got the idea for this from a recipe by Kim127. I made this at work last night and it was very good I think.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 400 g bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup cream (I use light)
- 1 (300 g) box frozen spinach, thawed
- cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (shake them in a dry pan over high heat until golden-remove to a plate to cool)
- Heat the oil in a large frypan and fry the onion, garlic and bacon over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, cream, spinach and black pepper and bring to a gentle boil; reduce the heat and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and parmesan cheese, stir through and serve with the cooked pasta of your choice, with the toasted pinenuts over the top.
- Serve with extra parmesan if you wish.
I came here to write my review, saw Jewelies review and remembered the pine nuts, nicely toasted, still sitting on the bench So this review is sans pine nuts! I served this tonight as a starter. I didn't have frozen spinach but had a bag of baby spinach so used that, apart from that one change and forgetting the pine nuts I made the recipe as written. Lots of flavour and we all agreed that it has to be made again (next time with the pine nuts!).
This sauce was unusual and wonderfully delicious. The bacon and spinach is a classic combination, but one I've never thought to bring together in a pasta sauce. It works! I used fresh spinach, just stirring it in and cooking until wilted. I also used turkey bacon with good results. JanS, we like your recipes!
The family loved this Jan.
This was so easy to prepare and make.
I served with chicken, cheese and wine ravioli, and everything just complimented each other. It was so delicious served with crust toasted garlic bread.
I probably added more spinach than needed, but we love spinach anyway, so this was an added bonus for the family.
I also had forgotten to buy pine nuts so substituted for chopped almonds which I toasted.
This will be made again for sure Jan, everyone loved this.