This recipe comes from "The Classic Zucchini Cookbook", with only minor additions. It is a quick and easy beginning for elegant dinner memories.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the leeks and saute about 5 minutes or until softened and transulucent.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth along with the squash; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until just tender.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to the saucepan and add the remaining broth and milk.
- Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat through and serve.
Yum this turned out great, Except way to thin/watered down! Next time I will do at least 1cup less of chicken broth. My 4 year old and my 17 month old both liked it, but 6 year old hated it. I gave my 17month old a straw to drink it from her bowl spoon was to hard. I did try recipe 3709 summer squash soup and loved it a little more, it's cheaper and simpler to make as well as healthier too- the texture was thicker so if thin delicate is what you like stick with this both are great! Loved the flavor or the Leeks in this one but like it best when I mixed the 2 soups- perfect! If you look it up yes I added hot sauce but to my individual bowl and Lived it!
I really like this soup!! It's easy to make and very light. We love leeks and squash so this combination works great for us. Made exactly as stated except I did not put the full amount of chicken broth, only used 3 cups verses the 4, just because I wanted more leek/squash flavor. Will be making this again. Made for ZWT8 and The Wild Bunch.
Kids love it, and this is the first of a hundred ways I have tried to cook squash that I'll eat! Going to freeze a bunch for the winter, thanks so much!