Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Donna Hay. You can use it to fill pastry tarts and top with fruit, or to accompany cakes. It's like a very thick custard.
- Place the milk and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks and sugar in a medium sized bowl together till pale.
- Add the cornflour and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour in the hot milk gradually and whisk for 10 seconds, before pouring the whole lot back into the saucepan.
- Simmer on medium high heat for 5 minutes, continuously whisking, or until thick.
- Place a sheet of baking paper or plastic wrap diurectly onto the surface of the creme, and leave at room temperature to cool.