Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Australian Restaurant "humid"
Make and share this Crisp Fried Tofu With Avocado Salsa & Watercress Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 300 g tofu, drained and cut into thick batons
- 100 ml rice flour, for dusting
- olive oil
LIME AND SUGAR DRESSING
- 100 g palm sugar or 100 g soft brown sugar
- 10 ml sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 100 g watercress
- 1⁄2 large red chili, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and sliced into noodle shapes on a mandolin (or sliced lengthwise with a peeler)
- 6 mint leaves, torn
- 1 large avocado, cut into large dice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- To make the dressing, dissolve the sugar in 50ml water over a low heat. Bring to the boil and simmer until thick bubbles form. Take off the heat and pour in the chilli sauce and lime juice. Strain and cool. This will keep for a week in the fridge but must be brought back to room temperature before use.
- For the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and season. Drizzle in enough oil to lightly coat. Store in an airtight container and chill (it will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge).
- Toss the tofu in the flour, dusting off any excess. Heat a little oil in a shallow pan, add the tofu and fry for 2 minutes. Carefully turn and fry for 2 more minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, pour the dressing into a sauce bottle with a thin nozzle. Zigzag the dressing onto the plate (if you don't have a sauce bottle you can use a spoon). Toss the watercress with the rest of the salad ingredients and throw in the tofu. Spoon some avocado into the centre of the plate and slightly flatten to resemble a thick disc. Pile the salad on top.
DELICIOUS! What a treat. This recipe is definitely going to go into our favorites to be served on a regular basis.