1/4 Photos of Crock Pot Beef or Lamb Casserole
4 hrs 30 mins
An economical meal for a family. Crock Pot/slow cookers are a winner in the heat of summer and great to put dinner on before going to work in the mornings. Who could beat a hearty casserole in winter either? You can use whatever veges that you have at hand. Use a gluten-free flour and stock if making this recipe gluten-free. Serve with toast, pasta or rice. I remember my mother making this casserole when I was a child. To make a richer gravy substitute 1 cup of red wine for 1 cup of stock. This is a great rustic dish- no need to be to accurate with your measurements or weights
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced o.r diced
- 2 onions, sliced o.r diced
- 200 g green beans, ends removed and roughly chopped into smaller lengths (approx.7oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups beef stock (can substitute in up to 1 cup of red wine) or 2 cups water (can substitute in up to 1 cup of red wine)
- 400 g of peeled tomatoes (14 ounces) or 400 g crushed tomatoes (14 ounces) or 400 g diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 1/4 kg diced casserole beef (roughly 2 1/2 pounds) or 1 1/4 kg diced lamb (roughly 2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons plain all-purpose flour or 5 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1Place the diced meat and flour in a plastic bag. Toss the meat to coat thoroughly in the flour. Add in extra flour if required. set aside.
- 2Prepare vegetables and place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- 3Add herbs,garlic, salt and pepper to the veges.
- 4Add the meat to the crock pot.
- 5Add the can of tomatoes. If using peeled tomatoes-roughly chop them first. Add the stock/wine/water.
- 6Cook on high setting for approx 4 hours or low setting for about 8 hours. Serve with toast, noodles or rice.
- 7NOTE- if you like a lot of gravy add more beef stock to the crock. Before serving if the gravy is not thick enough add some cornflour(maize corn flour) or arrowroot mixed with a small amount of water to the casserole and cook until thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Beef or Lamb Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1583.0
- Calories from Fat 1336
- Total Fat 148.4 g
- Saturated Fat 61.5 g
- Cholesterol 206.2 mg
- Sodium 434.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 23.3 g