1/4 Photos of Crock Pot Beef or Lamb Casserole
4 hrs 30 mins
An economical meal for a family. Crock Pot/slow cookers are a winner in the heat of summer and great to put dinner on before going to work in the mornings. Who could beat a hearty casserole in winter either? You can use whatever veges that you have at hand. Use a gluten-free flour and stock if making this recipe gluten-free. Serve with toast, pasta or rice. I remember my mother making this casserole when I was a child. To make a richer gravy substitute 1 cup of red wine for 1 cup of stock. This is a great rustic dish- no need to be to accurate with your measurements or weights
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced o.r diced
- 2 onions, sliced o.r diced
- 200 g green beans, ends removed and roughly chopped into smaller lengths (approx.7oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups beef stock (can substitute in up to 1 cup of red wine) or 2 cups water (can substitute in up to 1 cup of red wine)
- 400 g of peeled tomatoes (14 ounces) or 400 g crushed tomatoes (14 ounces) or 400 g diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 1/4 kg diced casserole beef (roughly 2 1/2 pounds) or 1 1/4 kg diced lamb (roughly 2 1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons plain all-purpose flour or 5 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1Place the diced meat and flour in a plastic bag. Toss the meat to coat thoroughly in the flour. Add in extra flour if required. set aside.
- 2Prepare vegetables and place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- 3Add herbs,garlic, salt and pepper to the veges.
- 4Add the meat to the crock pot.
- 5Add the can of tomatoes. If using peeled tomatoes-roughly chop them first. Add the stock/wine/water.
- 6Cook on high setting for approx 4 hours or low setting for about 8 hours. Serve with toast, noodles or rice.
- 7NOTE- if you like a lot of gravy add more beef stock to the crock. Before serving if the gravy is not thick enough add some cornflour(maize corn flour) or arrowroot mixed with a small amount of water to the casserole and cook until thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Beef or Lamb Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1583.0
- Calories from Fat 1336
- Total Fat 148.4 g
- Saturated Fat 61.5 g
- Cholesterol 206.2 mg
- Sodium 434.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 23.3 g