1/5 Photos of Crock Pot Lamb Shanks
8 hrs 20 mins
Peter J's Note:
Modified version of a recipe I found on the 'net that I thought turned out great. Apart from a few small changes to seasoning the original recipe called for a cup of wine rather than beer, sometimes I feel with tomato that makes things a bit rich when slow-cooked and I thought the beer substitution worked well. If you don't want to use beer try a cup of beef stock instead of the stock powder / beer. Also whole garlic cooked this way doesn't taste strong at all, if you want it to have a strong garlic taste you'd need to crush some of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg lamb shank (4 medium shanks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium brown onions, sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 200 g mushrooms, coarsely sliced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf, broken into quarters
- 1Heat oil in pan over medium to high heat and brown lamb shanks on all sides.
- 2Season lamb shanks with pepper.
- 3Place sliced onions at bottom of crock pot and put lamb shanks on top drizzled with remaining oil and juices from the pan.
- 4Place mushrooms and garlic cloves over the top.
- 5Mix beer, Worcestershire sauce, stock powder, tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme and bay leaf in a bowl.
- 6Pour mixture over the top of lamb shanks.
- 7Cook in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours depending on your crock pot.
- 8Remove bay leaves.
- 9Serve with vegetables and juices poured over the top of the shanks. I served over wholegrain bread but mashed potatoes would be the best match.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1388.0
- Calories from Fat 629
- Total Fat 69.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 450.0 mg
- Sodium 885.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 138.7 g