Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My adaptation of a "sizzling sausages" recipe in the current issue of the Australian magazine 'New Idea'. I have posted four other "sizzling sausages" recipes: Lemon and Thyme Sausage Kebabs, Mexican Sausage Tortillas, Beef Sausage Hot Dogs With Basil & Lemon Mayonnaise and Budget-Savvy Sang Choy Bow. These have been featured as flavoursome, budget-savvy recipes. This one, the 'New Idea' cooking editor Barbara Northwood has costed at $A2.45 per serve.
- 8 pork sausages
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup corn flake crumbs or 3⁄4 cup Special K cereal, crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- moroccan seasoning, to taste (optional)
- cooking spray
- lemon wedge, to serve
- fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper or lemon pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage (I recommend Savoy cabbage)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- Place the sausages in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring slowly to the boil; simmer for about 15 minutes, or until cooked right through; drain; cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°-375°F/4-6 gas mark.
- To make the coleslaw, place the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a large bowl; stir to combine; season with salt and pepper; add the cabbages and carrot; toss to combine; set aside.
- If using garlic, red pepper flakes or the Moroccan seasoning, add it to the corn flake crumbs.
- Coat the cooled sausages in flour; dip in the eggs; coat evenly in the cornflake crumbs or Special K crumbs; place on an oven tray lined with baking paper; spray with oil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C/350°-375°F/4-6 gas mark), turning halfway through the cooking time, for about 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Serve the sausages with the coleslaw and lemon wedges; garnish with fresh parsley.