Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I have had this recipe for a long time. It is one of those recipes that gets misplaced and then pops back up. Thus, I haven't actually tried it yet. I thought that if I posted it maybe I wouldn't keep loosing it! It looks interesting.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 4 cups cold buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 (11 ounce) can canned corn niblets
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄3 lb cooked small baby shrimp
- cilantro (to garnish)
- Over high heat, in a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine the chicken broth, apples, onion, and curry.
- Cover; bring to a boil, and simmer until apples will mash easily, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool, then cover and chill until cold, a minimum of 3 hours or can be chilled overnight.
- When cooled, place mixture in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cut a few thin strips of red pepper and set aside for garnish; dice remaining pepper.
- Put diced pepper in soup tureen with apple puree, buttermilk, lime juice and corn, stir to mix.
- Add the minced cilantro to the soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top each bowl with an equal amount of shrimp.
- Garnish each bowl with bell pepper strips and cilantro.
- Please Note: The cooking time includes allowing the soup to cool overnight.
this was a delicious blend of all my favorite ingredients- the only thing i changed was to sub fresh basil for the cilantro. made for zwt5, thanks paula.
We loved this one! Great soup - has you coming back for seconds. Finding we really like the corn/curry combination! Other then using just a bit of the cilantro and subbing the rest with parsley I made as posted. How good - been added to my soup collection.
Oh man is this soup ever delicious, not to mention easy to make, I think it must be all the combos of different flavors going on in this soup that makes it so good! I increaed the curry waaaaay up, added in lots of fresh garlic and increased the shrimp, I can't wait to make this again, the next time I will double or triple the recipe, it is THAT good! thanks for sharing this one Paula, wonderful recipe!...Kitten:)