Australian cookbook author Charmaine Solomon created this mixed vegetable side dish that has a range of nuanced flavors. Perfect side dish for any meal that needs a good pick me up or can be eaten with pita as nice lunch!
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 long red chilies, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, very coarsely chopped
- 1 cup edamame, shelled frozen (soybeans)
- 1 cup greek plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- 4 pocketless whole wheat pita bread, warmed
- In a medium bowl, toss the diced carrots, potato, zucchini and onions with the chiles, ground coriander and ground turmeric.
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the ginger and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 1 minute. Add the seasoned vegetables and cook over moderately high heat until they just start to brown around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and half of the cilantro, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the edamame and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the yogurt and lemon juice and season with salt. Transfer the vegetables to bowls, garnish with the remaining cilantro and serve with the warmed pitas.
A wonderful recipe!! A good try at curry for those who fear spices because it is very mellow!! For myself I might kick it up a notch but it worked great for DH who isn't as into spice and heat as I am. The only additions I made were a bit of garlic in with the ginger and a small sweet potato I had on hand to toss in. A fabulous new veggie dish to add to our menu - Thanks NcMystery Shopper!!
One exceptional recipe! Was very good without the lemon/yogurt and it turned into a truly extraordinary one with it. Not too much curry for my BF, and otherwise wonderful per both of us. I included the cilantro, which we are usually reluctant to use. Easy and very healthful too. We used 1 tablespoon oil and whole wheat pitas. Vegetables stuck to the pan at first until I added tomatoes. I thought it was going to be too saucey until I added Greek yogurt and it turned out perfect! Used 4 dried chiles instead of fresh, rehydrated but not chopped. Truly a keeper, and went into my keeper cookbook. Thanks very much Cheryl!