Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Custard Powder Sponge (No Fail Sponge Cake) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cornflour
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Beat whites of eggs until stiff.
- Add yolks and sugar.
- Sift all flours together & fold into mixture.
- Divide into 2 greased & lined sandwich tins
- preheat oven to 190c
- place on middle shelf
- reduce heat to 170c & cook for 20 minutes
- this is for fan forced oven.
- for oven not fan forced, preheat to 200c then reduce to 180c.
- when cooked cool on rack fill with jam and fresh cream and enjoy.
Great & easy. Gluten free too, so I will be adding it to my gluten free recipes.
An easy to make sponge cake. Like most cakes of this type it dries out quickly and needs to be used the same day (or frozen). I prefer to use baking powder rather than the cream of tartar/baking soda mixture. It is great for trifle when it dries out. Incidentally, trifle is always better with dry sponge cake. Of course this is only my opinion!!!! Thanks for a good recipe Janet
an okay recipe for sponge cake.