I love a really rich stew and this one was a recipe that I took ideas from other recipes and made my own. Having the crock pot means I can prepare it all the night before and then throw it all together and leave to cook the next morning. You could use any veggies you like in it and even add more (beans, peas etc). The hardest part of the recipe is cutting up the veggies. I hope you enjoy.
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups red wine
- 50 ml Worcestershire sauce
- marinate meat in red wine, olive oil, onion, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper overnight.
- Drain the meat and reserve the marinade.
- saute the bacon.
- brown the meat in the bacon fat.
- place all the vegetables, meat, bacon, marinade and garlic into crock pot.
- cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or until meat is tender.
it was good, but next time I will add another bay leaf and extra seasoning as we couldnt taste the flavors.
I made this the other night and it turned out really good. Everything was sone perfectly. We had this over rice. Thanks for posting!!
I made this exactly the way the recipe specified. I will make it again but will take the other reviewers advice and add beef broth to the stew. I will also add more vegetables.