1 hr 5 mins
WARNING: Do not schedule a cholesterol check within a week of enjoying this bread. This has become a traditional treat at a friend's New Years Day barbeque party. It's just not New Years Day without Di's Clog Your Artery Garlic Bread. I have mentioned that the cooking time is 45 minutes, however this will depend on if you add more than 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf sour dough french breadstick
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 cups whole whipping cream
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- cracked pepper (a couple of good turns of the pepper grinder)
- fresh parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- additional grated parmesan cheese, if required
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 190 C or British Gas Mark 5.
- 2Dice all the garlic very finely.
- 3In a medium sauce pan, melt a quarter of butter so you are left with a 1/4 cup remaining of the original 1/2 cup of butter, then add the garlic to the melting butter and saute until garlic is golden.
- 4Add remaining butter to sauce pan until all is melted.
- 5Slice the french bread lengthwise creating two halves, then cut 3" thick slices across each half, but do not cut all the way through yet.
- 6Place the two halves of french bread next to each other on a cookie sheet covered with cooking foil.
- 7Next, slowly and evenly pour the garlic and butter over EACH HALF of the french bread.
- 8Let the garlic butter melt into the bread.
- 9Set sauce pan aside but DO NOT clean it yet.
- 10Place the two lenghtwise halves of the french bread back together to form one bread stick.
- 11Bake uncovered until the outside is slightly crispy and the inside is very warm.
- 12While bread is heating, pour the whipping cream into the buttery sauce pan, add the freshly grated parmesan cheese and the rest of the spices.
- 13Stir slowly for a while until sauce is thick and rich and most of the parmesan cheese has melted into the sauce.
- 14This may take 15 minutes or so.
- 15Note: You can add more cheese to help thicken the cream at any time.
- 16When bread is warm and sauce is ready, open the bread back up, place in a serving dish and pour the sauce all over it.
- 17This may need two people to get the sauce into the cracks of the slices: one to pour and the other uses two forks to open it up.
- 18But choose the second person carefully.
- 19You don't want someone who can't control their drools.
- 20The cream should be all over the bread and the serving dish.
- 21You will need a knife and spatula to serve your Artery Bread and be ready to wipe the brow of your guests, they will be in heaven.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Di's Clog Your Artery Garlic Bread
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.4
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 98.4 mg
- Sodium 236.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: