Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely moist tea loaf, from the kitchens of Donna Hay. I found it in a Sunday newspaper magazine and it has become a family favourite. It is very simple to prepare. Can't comment on how long it keeps or whether it freezes well - never been able to keep one for long enough to find out!
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the dates, bicarbonate of soda and tea in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand-held blender, blend the date mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the apple, flour and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the butter, vanilla, eggs and date mixture and mix well to combine.
- Spoon into a lightly-greased 2.5 litre capacity (10 cup) loaf tin and bake for 45 -55 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire tack to cool completely.